Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Ridiculously Good Honey Garlic Ribs

On Friday Steve decided it had been one of those weeks that we just needed to finish off with a great BBQ - and what better way than to make ribs! I have to admit that Steve was the sole chef on this kitchen creation and so I invited him to write the recipe for this blog post (the rest of this post is Steve's):

First I created a sauce with some ingredients that were laying around the house.

1 bottle of Heinz Garlic BBQ sauce
About 1/4 to 1/3 of a cup of honey
About 2 table spoons of brown sugar

I mixed all of these into a bowl and added more honey or brown sugar to taste.

I then put the ribs into the slow cooker frozen, ideally should have been thawed, and poured in the sauce mixture along with 3 cloves of garlic and a bit of water to make sure if didn't burn. The sauce didn't completely cover the ribs so I cooked them meat side down and with the membrane on the back of the ribs intact. I set the slow cooker on high for 4 hours. After about 3 hours the ribs looked like they had cooked a bit quickly so I reduced the heat to low for the remaining hour. I would recommend cooking the ribs on low for a longer period of time (6-8 hours) if possible.

Once the ribs were done in the slow cooker I took them out and removed the membrane on the underside of the ribs. If you just slide a knife along the underside you'll notice there is a thicker membrane, which if left on can leave the ribs tough, but just take the time to remove it completely.

I preheated the BBQ to about 300 deg and when the ribs were ready to put on I turned the heat down to low-medium. I then drained the sauce from the slow cooker into a bowl and basted the ribs with the remaining sauce while on the BBQ. I cooked the ribs for total of about 10 minutes per side but flipped every 5 minutes, basting with more sauce on each flip.


***
Courtney here again.
Steve's recipe turned out amazing and the ribs were so delicious - I can't wait to have these again. Give Steve's ribs recipe a try next time you go to BBQ.

Bon appetit & enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment