Steve and I stocked up on chicken the other week when it was on sale and so we had a few chicken dishes over the past week. We had made this recipe - Chicken in Basil Cream - before but somehow it never made it to the blog. This is a very easy recipe - the only time consuming part is waiting for the sauce to thicken to the desired consistency (but if you are like me and Steve it is easy to pass that time while you review the activities of your day - just remember to give the sauce a stir every now and again).
Here are the ingredients that you will need for this recipe:
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (we used 2 because ours were very large)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chicken broth (I just use a whole can of Campbells' chicken broth)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 jar (4 ounces) sliced pimientos, drained - optional (we do not use them)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Place milk and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Dip chicken in milk, then coat with crumbs.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, cook chicken in butter on both sides until juices run clear, about 10 minutes. Remove and keep warm.
- Add broth to skillet. Bring to boil over medium heat; stir to loosen browned bits.
- Stir in the cream and pimientos; boil and stir for 1 minute. Reduce heat.
- Add parmesan cheese, basil and pepper; cook and stir until heated through.
- Pour over the chicken.
If you are looking for a new sauce to add to your chicken (and you like breaded chicken - honestly, who doesn't!) I encourage you to try this recipe!
Bon appetit & enjoy!
The recipe is from:
Taste of Home - Winning Recipes / Reader's Digest Book
Reiman Media Group Inc. 2010
Breakfast & Brunch
Chicken in Basil Cream