Monday, May 7, 2012

Hearty Italian Pot Roast

Steve and I both appreciate a hearty home cooked meal on Sunday nights and when time permits we like to pull up our sleeves, peel potatoes, cry when cutting onions, and make a roast for Sunday dinner. And last Sunday (April 29) that is exactly what we did.

I spent some time over that weekend looking into a variety of pot roast recipes - both in the oven and in a slow cooker. In the end I chose a recipe that was a little different that anything I had had or made before, and was in the slow cooker - I am somewhat fascinated by the slow cooker so it tends to win over the oven.

I found this recipe on Martha Stewart's website and thought it would be delicious and relatively easy to make. The only main difference between this recipe and how I would typically made a pot roast is that this one incorporated tomatoes (note - I am not a fan of stewed tomatoes; however, I thought that the flavor the added tomatoes would give would be worth adding them). To get the complete recipe and the directions visit Martha Stewart's website.

As I suspected, this recipe was very simple to make - simply browning the meat, cutting the veggies, opening the can of tomatoes, adding spices, and placing it all into the slow cooker for a little less an 6 hours. The taste that the tomatoes added was a nice new addition; however, I would have expected there to be more flavour because of all of the added tomatoes. In the future I will try to find a way to really pull out the tomato taste and perhaps add a few more spices as well. Overall it was a great dish and one that we most likely will try again - and you should try it too!

Bon appetit & enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I love Martha... not only good recipes, lots of great craft ideas too.
    here's a website for you... it's cool ... makes recipes from what's in the fridge.
    http://www.myfridgefood.com/index.php. hope to see you soon

    ReplyDelete