Sunday, March 25, 2012

Breaded Pork Chops with Sage Cream Gravy

As you may know I like to stock up on meat when it goes on sale. Steve and I had taken a look through our freezer last weekend and noticed that we still had a few pork chops left over from the last stock-up-sale. And in an effort to continue to try new recipes I turned to Pinterest. I found this recipe, Breaded Pork Chops with Sage Cream Gravy, on the 'Taste and Tell' blog.

The recipe is not complicated and only has a short-medium list of ingredients:
  • 1-1/2 cups milk, divided
  • 1 large egg
  • 1-1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
  • 2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, divided
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage, divided
  • Four boneless pork chops
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
For the directions for this recipe, please see the linked blog above.

This recipe did not meet our expectations. We have been making several recipes that require breading and have become very comfortable with it. The new element to this recipe for us was the sage cream gravy and that is where the recipe truly did not meet our expectations. The indicated measurements for the gravy ingredients lead to the gravy being chalky and bland - there was no flavour!

However, Steve and I were able to turn the gravy around. We opened the spice cupboard and started adding everything we could think of to make it taste better, and unfortunately I did not write any of it down.

I would NOT recommend this recipe as is, but I would encourage you to find a great sage cream gravy and let me know about it - I haven't given up on the idea of this recipe, but I have given up on this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment